The ancient St Bartholomew’s Hospital was originally built on what is now known as the High Street between Rochester and Chatham. The hospital is believed to have been built in 1078 by Gundulph, Bishop of Rochester. The site was closed down in October 2016 and has been vacant since.
The site extends to approximately 1 hectare (2.5 acres) and comprises a varied collection of buildings that have evolved since the main hospital north block was developed, which was built in c.1862-3 and designed by Robert Philip Pope. In addition is an area of hard standing to the north eastern corner which serves as a car park.